Monday, November 5, 2012

Van Cleef and Arpels

     Van Cleef and Arpels is a jewelry company. Not just any jewelry company, at least I think so. What I love about their jewelry is that real art and expression goes into it, and it isn't just known for being ''expensive'' (although it is. very.) I don't really like Tiffany's. Like if someone gave me a Tiffany's necklace (unless it was Harry Styles) I, quite honestly, would sell it. I just think Tiffany's is known for it's price, and that's why people like it. Not for being particularly beautiful or artistic. Get a platinum chain, add some diamonds, that's it. That's my humble opinion.
      Van Cleef and Arpels is completely different. They do what I like to call ''Calm Quirkiness''. It's artsy and cool and, well, quirky, but it isn't something a clown would wear. They use flowers, actual humans, plants..... SO MUCH!!! My very favorite is this brooch that is a ballerina, but then her tutu (I like calling it a skirt) explodes into all these leave shaped colors. It's absolutely beautiful. It's art!
       Chanel jewelry (oh man I honestly found a way to stick Chanel in here) does a good job of this also.
http://www.chanel.com/en_US/Jewelry/comete-necklaces#Necklace_in_18K_white_Gold_and_Diamonds-J2846


 That is a link to my favorite Chanel necklace. I love how it captures that 20s-30s idea of, just, well...wonder about space. We had this absolute fascination with Space, because back then we really didn't know much about it. If you start really looking at jewelry and fashion from this era you'll see it.
     And yet again, it's Calm Quirkiness. It's art, it's expression of wonder and it captures the ideas and imaginations of the 20s 30s era.

No comments:

Post a Comment